kHUB All Member Forum

View Only
Discussion Thread View
  • 1.  Are you a supporter, and ally or an accomplice?

Posted 06-23-2020 10:17

Today the news is filled with coverage of COVID-19, George Floyd, Rayshard Brooks (and many, many more).  PDMA is a place where innovators come together to learn, grow and create…at least for some.  As we moved into 2020, PDMA leadership took steps to move from being a supporter of equality and inclusiveness to an accomplice in the active engagement to change our society for the better; to make PDMA and the world around us a place for everyone to feel welcome.

This section of the Knowledge Hub is dedicated to how Innovators are responding to world events.  Whether it's social inequality, global pandemics or whatever the next opportunity for growth is, this is your forum.

I wanted to submit this profile that I read recently about a young woman who is working to solve facial bias in data:

https://www.technologyreview.com/innovator/inioluwa-deborah-raji/

What's on your mind?

------------------------------
    Ernie Harris
    Founder
    Interesting Blazer
    Saint Petersburg FL
    727-306-1880

• 2.  RE: Are you a supporter, and ally or an accomplice?

Posted 06-24-2020 09:47
    Thank you for the thought provoking comments and article, Ernie.
    We all have so much to learn and simple actions can be taken to move the needle.
    How might we, as innovators, develop opportunities to better engage others?  
    This 2013 HBR article shares how diversity within your organization improves results and drives innovation.
    A win-win :)
    https://hbr.org/2013/12/how-diversity-can-drive-innovation

[Sue] [Burek] [NPDP]
    [kHUB Administrator]
    [PDMA]
    [Huntersville] [NC]
    [585-314-4611]

• 3.  RE: Are you a supporter, and ally or an accomplice?

Posted 06-24-2020 15:15
    Ernie, I just wrapped up a Zoom meeting with Ron Idoko, Diversity and Multicultural Programs Manager at the University of Pittsburgh.  He shared with me their powerful framework for cultivating diversity consciousness across their faculty, staff, and student body. 

Their next town hall is on July 8th and entitled "Toxic Recipe: The Historical Ingredients of American Inequity"
    Register

Pitt is also hosting a three day forum in July with the stated purpose: "To engage and equip participants with the knowledge, skills, and resources to foster a more equitable and just community."

I've registered for both events and will report back to the Board. In the meanwhile, we should look for ways to get these great resources out to our communities.

Wayne Fisher
    Innovation Guide
    Rockdale Innovation LLC
    Cincinnati OH
    513-708-2492

• 4.  RE: Are you a supporter, and ally or an accomplice?

Posted 06-24-2020 17:36
    This is great Wayne - thanks for posting!  I've registered!

Ernie Harris
    Founder
    Interesting Blazer
    Saint Petersburg FL
    727-306-1880

Self-expression and self-identification is one of my professional and personal values. One way to practice these values is to share personal gender pronouns. My name is Ernie and I use he, him, his pronouns. What pronouns do you use?​