Innovators Responding to World Events

• 1.  Pronouns

Posted 16 days ago
    Edited by Ernie Harris 16 days ago
    As part of my personal and professional growth, I've been spending time educating myself on topics related to social equality and inclusion.  Today I thought I'd share a resource that I found about pronouns in people's email signatures.

As individuals, we use pronouns every day but are we using them in an inclusive manner?  Sometimes - yes, sometimes - no.

Today I sat in on a session put on by Lesbians Who Tech (@lesbiantech and www.lesbianswhotech.org) entitled:

All Black Lives Matter: Navigating Corporate America as a Non-Binary Techie and Embracing Intersectionality In The Movement

During this session, I learned a lot about pronouns.  As an Accomplice/Ally of the LGBTQ+ community, I continue to struggle to incorporate proper pronouns in my day-to-day conversations and so I asked a question and of course, the answer was so simple.  Just work on it.  It's OK to say to someone that you're having a hard time with the vocabulary but that you're a friend and that you're working on it.

A question that came up right after mine was, "If your pronouns are not he/his or she/hers, how do I refer to you when using titles like Mr, Mrs, Ms, etc?  I learned that the title is Mx (pronounced Mix).

I also asked about sharing pronouns and what the "best way" to do so is.  There's of course no "best way" but I didn't find this resource that helped me a lot and so I thought I would share it here.  Below are five different examples of incorporating your pronouns into your email signature.

I like #5 and have implemented this approach in my signature...which one do you like the most?

Example 1:
    Klint Jaramillo, MEd, MSW
    Pronouns: he, him, his
    Director, LGBT Resource Center
    Office of Diversity and Outreach
    University of California, San Francisco
    500 Parnassus Avenue
    San Francisco, CA 94143

Example 2:
    500 Parnassus Avenue
    San Francisco, CA 94143
    Pronouns: he, him, his

Example 3:
    Klint Jaramillo, MEd, MSW (they, them, theirs)
    500 Parnassus Avenue
    San Francisco, CA 94143

Example 4
    500 Parnassus Avenue
    San Francisco, CA 94143
    Pronouns I use: she, her, hers and they, them, theirs

Example 5
    University of California, San

Self-expression and self-identification is one of my professional and personal values. One way to practice these values is to share personal gender pronouns. My name is Klint and I use he, him, his pronouns. What pronouns do you use?

------------------------------
    Ernie Harris
    Founder
    Interesting Blazer
    Saint Petersburg FL
    727-306-1880

Self-expression and self-identification is one of my professional and personal values. One way to practice these values is to share personal gender pronouns. My name is Ernie and I use he, him, his pronouns. What pronouns do you use?​
    ------------------------------